Things You REALLY Need to Know about Indoor Tanning!
Geposted von ONYX TAN am
Every tanning salon requires not only good equipment, a wide range of cosmetics suitable for indoor tanning, but most importantly a well-trained customer service that will take care of customers’ comfort and safety.
More information about this in our article – The power of review
What you should know about indoor tanning? How can you take care of your clients in a smart way?
- First things first, guide your client through the Fitzpatrick phototyping scale!
Let's put it bluntly: some people can't get tanned. We gathered some of the contraindications to tanning or excessive tanning. Please feel free to treat it like a checklist. You should go through it before going to the tanning salon.
According to the Fitzpatrick scale (also known as Fitzpatrick skin typing test)that is a type of skin typing scale widely used for classification of the human skin color, there are six known major skin types:
- Type I (scores 0–6) always burns, never tans (palest; freckles).
- Type II (scores 7–13) usually burns, tans minimally
- Type III (scores 14–20) sometimes mild burn, tans uniformly
- Type IV (scores 21–27) burns minimally, always tans well (moderate brown)
- Type V (scores 28–34) very rarely burns, tans very easily (dark brown)
- Type VI (scores 35–36) never burns (deeply pigmented dark brown to darkest brown)
Person considered to be Type I can be recognized by their very fair complexion, freckles, light hair, light blue, green or grey eyes. They are advised not to expose their skin to UV light. Their lack of natural protection often leads to easy burning and skin irritation without a tanned effect. TypeII and III should adjust their indoor tanning sessions very reasonably with caution to their duration and frequency. Type IV and V, on the other hand, tan easily in a quick time; they are not prone to burning, have already moderately brown or dark brown skin pigmentation. Type VI has the highest pigmentation of skin, they almost never burn, but still need extra moisturizing during tanning.
- Which tanning bed lamps should you be using?
Very important aspect of customer service is making sure that you know what range of equipment the salon offers. It’s clear that types of tanning bulbs have different types, functions and powers. Tanning beds can be equipped with, for example,Red Light Therapy lamps which help keep skinyouthful-looking orthe so-called hybrid lamps. Customer service should be able to answer all questions and suggest a tanning bed right for the given customer, so that they can get a pleasurable end effective tanning experience. In other words, the role of the tanning salon personnel is to advise thecustomers how to tan wisely, help them recognize their skin type and then adjust the right tanning equipment to their expectations.
- Before indoor tanning get yourself a body lotion!
During tanning on sunbeds your skin is put through different experiences than while sunbathing. That’s why you need to control the duration of your tanning process and apply right amount of lotion before. That way you are going to be sure of getting an even, streak-free tan with skin moisturizing at the same time. Onyx lotions provide your skin with surely needed range of natural extracts that help to condition and smooth your skin while tanning.
- Provide your skin with best tanning treatment!
Using indoor tanning body lotions before the tanning process is a key to the skin protection against its drying and, as a result, premature aging. Remember that by going sunbed tanning without use of the proper cosmetics you are risking getting your skin harmed.Professional cosmetics by Onyx provide your body with mighty ingredients that help getting longer and deeper tan color, no matter if you are a beginner or an advanced tanner.
For more information check out this article – SUNBED LOTION PLEASE
- How often should I go indoor tanning to be bronzed for longer?
Unfortunately, there isn’t afixed way of ensuring the same tanlongevity for everyone. Some people need only one tanning session every two weeks, others need to have a tanning session two times a week for that golden glow on their body.Most customers are fine getting tanned once a week since they achieve a healthy looking bronzed skin for a whole year that way. For a slightly deeper color some people go tanning every five to six days. Tanning salon staff should advice you about tanning process, and ways of getting tan. Their job is to tell you about the right equipment, right tanning skincare and the amount of time you should be spending on a tanning bed. If you are just starting, you should go a few times for a short amount of time, visiting tanning salon twice or three times a week. To keep the best results for longer we would advice going for a tanning session at least two times a month.
- When not to go indoor tanning?
Unfortunately, indoor tanning is not for everyone. Because of the allergic reactions or skin illnesses you may have, the consequences may be hazardous for your skin. We have a list of reasons because of which you shouldn’t be using indoor tanning beds. Make sure you’re on the safe side before you pay a visit to the tanning studio.
- You have a very pale complexion and you are a type one according to the Fitzpatrick scale.
- Any marks, skin moles and discolorations.
- Being oversensitive to the UV lights or being allergic to the sunlight.
- Indoor tanning is not advised for people who have severe skin problems.
- Fresh permanent make-up, not healed tattoos, recent skin injuries.
- Under age customers.
- Any kind of sickness, high temperature, inflammations, flu, but also heart diseases,
problems with circulatory system, kidney or thyroid problems, epilepsy.
- Any cosmetic treatments that include deep cleansing, chemical exfoliations and peelings, with retinol, whitening treatments, wax depilation.
- Using cosmetics with retinol or hydroxide acid, shampoos with wood tar, hypericumperforatum, perfumes or deodorants just before tanning.
- Using any drugs that may cause allergic reactions.
- RULES RULE
Every customer has to remember that tanning is allowed for adults only. If a customer service has any doubts about the age of a tanner, they can ask you forthe identity card.
- VERY IMPORTANT DETAILS
Before every indoor tanning session you should not use deodorant or perfumes. You have to wash off any makeup and take off all your jewelry. Your customer service at the salon should inform you about that.
What are your rights as a client?
- You can ask for a protective foil on the bed you are going to use if you have any doubts regarding the hygiene.
- At any time of using the tanning bed – if you feel sick or you just don’t feel comfortable – you are should press STOP and take a break or leave the bed.
- Always pay attention to the alerts placed on the tanning equipment – you need to adjust your time of tanning to their specifications.
- Always read the rules of tanning salon you are in.
- If you notice any technical problems with the sunbed (example: a tanning lamp not working), inform the staff about it before you turn the machine on.
If you’ve got any questions or doubts, don’t hesitate to ask the staff for help. They should make sure you know how to use the sunbed’s options properly and should be able to suggest the best tanning product for you. If a person from the salon service says you shouldn’t go over the top with the tanning sessions duration or frequency, trust them: safety is the most important thing. And if you have a trusted tanning studio, just grab your favorite Onyx tanning lotion and enjoy the tanning session!